[FFmpeg-user] Archlinux update breaks kmsgrab: Failed to get plane resources: Permission denied

Lou Logan lou at lrcd.com
Thu Feb 6 22:15:16 EET 2020

> Hi there,
>
> For sometime I've been happily using kmsgrab to make screencasts on
> my Archlinux Xorg desktop.
>
> https://github.com/kaihendry/recordmydesktop2.0/blob/9825a44d886318d78463c0a602681c0c7931cf83/x11capture#L71
>
> But then it broke after a reboot as described here:
> https://www.reddit.com/r/ffmpeg/comments/ez4u5z/failed_to_get_plane_resources_permission_denied/
>
> Downgrading ffmpeg or linux didn't appear to solve the problem.
> Perhaps it was some Intel driver update? I'm not sure what package to
> try downgrade or to bisect this breaking dist-upgrade and reboot,
> since there has been so many updates...

Before doing anything else refer to /var/log/pacman.log and try to
narrow down the culprit. Right now I'm not sure if ffmpeg has anything
to do with it (but I know nothing of kmsgrab).

> Full log is here:
> https://s.natalian.org/2020-02-06/1580968072.mp4.log

Unfortunately you used the accursed -hide_banner option which often
damns the user into getting no response because it hides important
info and makes the log not usable.

I prefer the default loglevel and that the log is provided directly in
the email in case the link goes away.