[FFmpeg-user] How to decrypt .ts files into separate .ts files with ffmpeg without using a playlist?

Micael Silva micaelsilva at gmail.com
Tue Feb 11 00:36:58 EET 2020

On Mon, Feb 10, 2020 at 6:16 PM Crazy Red Elephant via ffmpeg-user <
ffmpeg-user at ffmpeg.org> wrote:

> This works, Moritz, thank you. However, for some reason it works only for
> the part0 file, two others don't open in Windows Media Player after
> decryption. That's weird...
>
> What's also interesting is that there's about 17 KB difference in size
> between the part0 file decrypted with openssl (3,476 KB, which is 16 bytes
> less than the original encrypted one) and part0 decrypted from m3u8 (3,496
> KB). Do you have any idea why it's like that?
>
> Another thing is that I'm getting a "hex string is too short, padding with
> zero bytes to length" message but I suppose is fine since we use -iv 0...

The HLS standard says about encryption:

"An encryption method of AES-128 signals that Media Segments are completely
encrypted using the Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) [AES_128] with a
128-bit key, Cipher Block Chaining (CBC), and Public-Key Cryptography
Standards #7 (PKCS7) padding [RFC5652]. CBC is restarted on each segment
boundary, *using either the Initialization Vector (IV) attribute value or
the Media Sequence Number as the IV*; see Section 5.2."

In this case the IV for decryption of the first segment should be 0x0, the
second 0x1 and so on and so forth.