[FFmpeg-user] h264 videos are darker

Totte Karlsson totte.karlsson at alleninstitute.org
Fri Feb 14 20:15:27 EET 2020

> > I tried both of those, but the resulting video is distorted with random colors flashing
> on the screen.
>
> Try them as the output pixel format not the input.

Thanks for the response; I'm a little confused about "output pixel format", as I thought that the -pix_fmt flag is for that. The -pixel_format flag seem to be for the input.
So question, what flag are you referring to? Is there another flag to be used for the 'output pixel format'?

My ffmpeg command is:
ffmpeg.exe -y -vcodec rawvideo -f rawvideo -r 23 -s 658x492 -pix_fmt gray -i \\.\pipe\DEV_000F315BEBB8 -c:v libx264 -crf 23 x:\videos\Box_1_2020T140206.avi

and I have tried various format for the -pix_fmt flag. Gray kind of works, but problem is the push of dark-gray pixels into black, i.e. pixel intensities of 3-5ish -> 0.

Best,
-tk