[FFmpeg-user] silenceremove use

Ted Park kumowoon1025 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 21 05:53:12 EET 2020

> Ideally, it would be, if the thumps and voice would have some space between them during playback (of the output file), like three seconds apart and little bit of silence at the beginning. At the end silence isn't necessary.
>
> Ffplay i don't have compiled but using the silenceremove arguments with ffmpeg removes everything up until right before the two thumps with threshold set at -38dB. The first thump is removed unfortunately. The silence between the two thumps and my voice unfortunately isn't removed.
>
> At -37dB only my voice is left and none of the thumps are unfortunately left in.

Hi,

Oh, sorry I misunderstood, I thought you wanted all noise cut out. I don’t know if this will work better since you want to include signals that are not much stronger than the background noise level, but have you maybe tried filters that reduce noise, like maybe anlmdn, rather than one that trims time-wise? For keeping pauses between, I think passing in the number of seconds for start_silence will do that for silenceremove, and you can trim the beginning if needed. If you want silence rather than the existing background noise, you could use silencedetect and use the metadata to generate and insert silence between sounds.

Regards,
Ted Park