[FFmpeg-user] CPU and GPU

MediaMouth communque at gmail.com
Mon Feb 24 00:53:03 EET 2020

I'm watching ffmpeg crank out a ProRes from an older format QT at about 3 - 4x real time
I'm on a 8-core machine, and it's using all of them + hyper-threading.
It's really impressive.

Also been converting to mp4 using GPU which is faster still -- mind-blowingly fast.

My impression from searching online and from ffmpeg -h encoder=prores_ks that processing through GPU is not an option for ProRes transcoding.

Is there something about transcoding to ProRes that makes GPU processing not an option? (and would it even be faster)  Or is it possible and I just haven't found it yet?