[FFmpeg-user] CPU and GPU

MediaMouth communque at gmail.com
Thu Feb 27 19:33:33 EET 2020

> On Wed, Feb 26, 2020 at 5:34 PM Carl Eugen Hoyos <ceffmpeg at gmail.com> wrote:

>> will

>>> Just curious, is that by intent or has no one implemented/updated the
>>> support?
>>
>> Certainly not by intent.
>>
> On Feb 27, 2020, at 2:02 AM, andrei ka <andrei.k.gml at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> curious, why are you dying to get prores ? qt has at best 8 bits h264
> encoding, you're just resampble colours to 10 bits. may be nvenc's lossless
> 10 bits h264 coud fit your needs as well, i'd go ~16x real time...

RE "dying to get prores" -- so far I haven't encountered a codec worth dying for. The only reason for using it is that a) it's a widely standard in post production environments.  b) I hadn't heard of nvenc lossless.  Is it actually lossless or just perceptually lossless?  My suspicion is it's missing some of features expected in broadcast editing (though to be fair the "professional broadcast world" frequently fails to live up to its own stated standards).  h.265 isn't considered an industry standard, but if there are genuine benefits over current standards like ProRes and the DNxHRs and doesn't anger the techs too much, then it could see adoption.  Curious to know more about it.

RE "qt has at best 8 bits h264 encoding" -- To me this doesn't sound accurate.  QT isn't synonymous with h.264.  It's just a wrapper that can hold h.264 as well as plenty of other formats. ProRes QTs can handle 10- even 12-bit, as well as Rec 709, and alpha channels.