[FFmpeg-user] git version removes creation time of mp4 video

Ulf Zibis Ulf.Zibis at gmx.de
Thu Feb 27 22:27:15 EET 2020

Am 27.02.20 um 20:33 schrieb Carl Eugen Hoyos:
> Am Do., 27. Feb. 2020 um 20:22 Uhr schrieb Ulf Zibis <Ulf.Zibis at gmx.de>:
>
>> using the current git version of ffmpeg transcoding a mp4 video removes
>> creation time and geo tags.
> (I don't remember a bug report where mediainfo output helped.)
In my experience mediainfo is the most referenced tool to print meta
data. Is there a reason, that ffmpeg should not be compatible with that?

> You misunderstand: FFmpeg is not a file editor, it is a transcoding tool
> that writes a new output file with new (other) properties, so nothing is
> "removed".
> I believe there is a ticket for reading / writing geo tags.

I don't find such ticket:
https://trac.ffmpeg.org/search?q=geo+tag&noquickjump=1&ticket=on

But anyway is there a way to retain / copy such tags? Especially
creation time would be important to me.

-Ulf