[FFmpeg-user] Development & Support

Lou Logan lou at lrcd.com
Sat Feb 29 20:54:30 EET 2020

On Fri, Feb 28, 2020, at 4:00 PM, Mark Filipak wrote:

> My area of interest is documentation. Currently, ffmpeg is documented by
> the developers and, no offense intended, their documentation is poor.
> Why wouldn't it be poor? Developers are not professional writers and
> their perspective is not the users' perspective.

Donation of your time is more appreciated than funds. Have you
considered submitting a patch to improve documentation? As an
added bonus your name will be associated with the contribution
within the source code.

If that does not interest you then improving the wiki could be a
good start. It is intended to supplement the documentation and is
publicly editable.

https://trac.ffmpeg.org/#CommunityContributedDocumentation

For example the AV1 article is outdated and can be updated with
the addition of the encoder librav1e.

> > It's fairly informal since there is no standard or official process to do this.
>
> The ffmpeg crew needs to think about it. It's important.

I don't disagree, but money is not the motivating factor for FFmpeg
development (or at least it isn't for me despite my finances), so
nobody has invested the time and energy to better organize
sponsorship and bounties.

What I would like to see is the project use its funds to pay developers,
but that's a different discussion.