[FFmpeg-user] ffmpeg Changing Video Levels

Chris c319chris at aol.com
Thu Jan 2 04:52:52 EET 2020

>  Thanks for the direct answer. That makes ffmpeg useless for my purposes.

>  Could you elaborate?

We already have:

out_range=full  and out_range=tv

Why not have out_range=unity which does not alter the video levels at all?

I am trying to make video levels compliant with EBU R 103 which is RGB in the range 5 - 246.

I have written a C program to do this which uses ffmpeg to import and export video frames but ffmpeg makes this impossible when it overrides the video levels my program sets.

Alternatively you could have out_range=r103. The risk here is that EBU could change the values at some point in the future.

https://tech.ebu.ch/docs/r/r103.pdf

I am reluctant to delve into the source code - it's very complicated!