[FFmpeg-user] ffprobe bug in 'interlaced_frame'?

Carl Eugen Hoyos ceffmpeg at gmail.com
Mon Jan 27 03:26:57 EET 2020

Am Mo., 27. Jan. 2020 um 02:21 Uhr schrieb Mark Filipak
<markfilipak.windows+ffmpeg at gmail.com>:

> On 01/26/2020 08:08 PM, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:

> >> No, it's not. ffmpeg makes only frame pictures, not field pictures. Hard
> >> telecine is an interlaced format and ffmpeg doesn't make interlaced output.
> >
> > Note that at least the reasoning is wrong here:
> > MEncoder is able to produce both hard- and soft-telecined vob
> > files (and progressive and interlaced) with FFmpeg's mpeg2video encoder.
>
> Well, that's interesting, Carl. In the past I've longed for a method to
> encode TV segments as 30i and the embedded movie clips as 24i in the
> same transcode (as an alternative to transcoding both to 60p via line
> doubling and thereby suffering 70% larger output files). Such is needed
> for "Making of" documentaries in DVD Extra Features. HandBrake doesn't
> support any output (target) except progressive, but you say MEncoder
> does, eh?

It may only support cfr but you can probably concatenate.
Otoh, you can also concatenate the vob files produced with any other
software...

> Can X264 or X265 encode to 30i (or to 24p with 30i soft telecine metadata)?

Soft-telecine is not related to video encoders but why would you
want h264-encoded soft-telecined vob files?
And even more important: What would you do with them?

Carl Eugen