[FFmpeg-user] Latest version of ffmpeg

MediaMouth communque at gmail.com
Thu Jan 30 21:54:21 EET 2020

> On Jan 30, 2020, at 11:46 AM, Reto Kromer <lists at reto.ch> wrote:
>
> MediaMouth wrote:
>
>> Ok, so here's what I'm working through
>> - The ffmpeg version I currently have, through Brew is 4.2.2
>> - The stdout I posted suggests I ran 4.2.2
>> - The version Carl suggests downloading from
>> https://ffmpeg.org/download.html suggests 4.2.2 is the latest
>> version
>> - But Carl also says the version I"m using is ">6 months old"
>
> Yep, the last version is 4.2.2 and this branch was cut from
> master on 2019-07-21, i.e. more than 6 months ago.
>
> As said, you can also install the current HEAD with Brew:
>
>  brew install ffmpeg --HEAD

Changed the subject -- since we kind of strayed off-topic from the original question.  Hope that's not a problem.

Question: Is there a benefit / cost to installing using -HEAD?

From https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/CompilationGuide/macOS
to get the latest released version with minimal configuration (and library dependency) options. These versions are packaged as Homebrew formulas and will take care of all the dependencies and the installation itself. To get the latest Git master version, run:

Do I want "minimal configuration (and library dependency)?
Does that imply minimal library dependency or does it mean minimal configuration but with library dependency?
In words what are the tradeoffs between regular brewing and the -HEAD version?