[FFmpeg-user] Virtual camera

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Fri Jul 10 23:18:52 EEST 2020

On Thu, Jul 09, 2020 at 13:38:27 +0100, Simon Brown wrote:
> I was wondering if there is any way to use FFmpeg to create a virtual
> camera for a PC/Mac from an H264 stream source.  I know FFmpeg can use
> directshow as an input device.

On Linux, the v4l2loopback device can be used to do this, I have had
success with this. I have also read of akvcam, but not tested it.

The latter is a project by webcamoid, which is also implemented for Mac
and Windows. Perhaps it's worth looking what technology they use on
those two platforms, as those were the ones you named. Under Windows
it's probably a DirectShow filter.

If you use webcamoid directly, it's no longer ffmpeg though:
https://github.com/webcamoid/webcamoid/wiki/Virtual-camera-support

Cheers,
Moritz