[FFmpeg-user] Help in improving the documentation is always welcome? [was: write output of find_rect to a file?]

Jim DeLaHunt list+ffmpeg-user at jdlh.com
Sun Jul 12 23:13:49 EEST 2020

On 2020-07-12 05:21, Moritz Barsnick wrote:

> …(Help in improving the documentation is always welcome….

I wish it were so, Moritz. But in my experience, improving the
documentation is not always welcome.

For example:
<http://ffmpeg.org/pipermail/ffmpeg-devel/2020-April/261468.html> and
thread.

And:
<https://ffmpeg.org/pipermail/ffmpeg-devel/2017-November/220538.html>
and thread, and conflict, and actual vote to accept doc change.

And the absence of documentation improvement patches which are not part
of new code on ffmpeg-devel for the last forever.

It's a pity, because I think that the FFmpeg documentation is
inadequate, that the inadequacy creates obstacles for users, and as a
result there is more support work to do on the ffmpeg-users mailing
list. If help in improving the documentation were more welcome, then I
think both the developers and the users of FFmpeg would have better
experiences.

I realise it is not in your individual power to fix this, Moritz.
However, I want to be sure you are realistic about the actual situation.

Thank you for your help on this list, and for all you do for FFmpeg.
Best regards,
      —Jim DeLaHunt, software engineer, Vancouver, Canada