[FFmpeg-user] Reducing latency?

Simon Roberts simon at dancingcloudservices.com
Tue Jul 14 18:05:08 EEST 2020

I have two situations where I'm noticing significant latency, and I'd like
to know what to investigate with a view to perhaps reducing this.

1) When running ffplay (attached to a camera), the video I watch is about a
full second behind the "real world".

2) When recording multiple video channels, there's something like 1/4
second (just judging by eyeballs) lag between each channel.

The machine is not particularly stressed by the job, it's a Ryzen 7 with 16
hardware threads, and top reports that the second job is using about 2.5
threads worth. the ffplay job appears computationally trivial to the system.

Any avenues for investigation / understanding will be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Simon