[FFmpeg-user] Overlaying part of a video by an image file

Marcello Mazzon marcello at mazzon.de
Fri Jul 24 17:34:44 EEST 2020

Hi;

for months I have been on a project where I am trying to overlay a few
seconds of a longer video by an image file, leaving the audio sequence
intact. For this, I posted an enquiry on stackexchange [*] to which I
received a reply by an official ffmpeg-consultant.

*
https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/588667/ffmpeg-replace-part-of-a-video-by-a-jpg-file-for-5-seconds

Unfortunately, we were incapable of coming up with a solution to
integrate the image file into the video without re-encoding the whole
of the video file but only the part where the image is being overlayed,
leaving the exact codec and parameters of the video intact.

It would be great if someone knew of a solution either by replying via
email or by posting an answer into the respective thread on
stackexchange.

Thanks in advance.

Greetings from Germany;
Marcello