[FFmpeg-user] Libavcodec conflicts

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Mon Jun 15 16:15:16 EEST 2020

On Mon, Jun 15, 2020 at 13:04:18 +0000, FFmpeg user discussions wrote:

This is pretty muc a distribution issue, but let's try to help:

> So I wanted to install all the extra codecs for ffmpeg. I'm using
> mint 19. Right away apt tells me Libavcodec-extra57 conflicts with
> libavcodec57 and libavfilter-extra6 conflicts with libavfilter6. I
> was able to get it to install by using the force-depends flag but now
> apt -f install complains that vlc, ffmpeg and celluloid are broken
> and wants to uninstall them. I checked all of the above programs and
> they work fine but apts complaining is annoying.

> Why are these packages in conflict? Is it recommended to install both
> side by side? This looks like a common problem from my internet
> searches. What is the recommended solution?

ffmpeg doesn't have the concept of plugins, so there's only a defined
set of codecs/filters/formats a compiled library can support.

If this packaging is anything like in Debian/Ubuntu, those packages are
either/or. Either you install the one with e.g. "fewer" codecs, or the
one with "more".

See also here:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/847213/whats-the-difference-between-libavcodec-ffmpeg-extra56-and-libavcodec-ffmpeg56

Cheers,