[FFmpeg-user] newbie help - framerate

Carl Eugen Hoyos ceffmpeg at gmail.com
Sat Jun 27 12:49:35 EEST 2020

Am Sa., 27. Juni 2020 um 03:58 Uhr schrieb Mark Foley <mfoley at novatec-inc.com>:

> On Sat, 27 Jun 2020 01:48:53 +0200 Carl Eugen Hoyos <ceffmpeg at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Am 27.06.2020 um 00:14 schrieb Mark Foley <mfoley at novatec-inc.com>:
> > >
> > > I am trying for the first time to use ffmpeg. I have a collection of .jpg files
> > > starting at 000.jpg, numbered sequentially.
> > >
> > > On Windows 10 I've tried:
> > >
> > > ffmpeg.exe -start_number 000 -i %03d.jpg -r 1/6 mom.mp4
> > >
> > > This works (images displayed for 10 seconds), but only shows 3 of the 300+
> > > images. If I leave off the -r option it builds the .mp4 with all images, but
> > > they flash by as fast as possible.
> > >
> > > How do I get all images to show for 10 seconds?
> >
> > Funny that the option name “-framerate” is part of your subject.
>
> Like I said, "newbie". I tried -framerate, but nothing happened.

(Command line and complete, uncut console output missing.)
ffmpeg -framerate 1/6 -i %03d.jpg -r 10 mom.mp4
(-r 10 is not strictly necessary but for example old vlc does not play
files with very low framerates.)

> > > The source .jpg images all vary in HxW size. How do I get them all to display
> > > with the same height regardless of width?
> >
> > I believe you can only output one resolution but a shell script will help.
>
> How would a shell script help?

I slightly misunderstood the issue, the script would help if you wanted
jpg's with the same height as output.

Something similar to:
ffmpeg -framerate 1/6 -i %03d.jpg -vf scale=-1:512 -r 10 mom.mp4

Carl Eugen