[FFmpeg-user] ffmpeg-user at ffmpeg.org

stoica ionut iongion at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 27 12:32:14 EEST 2020

Hi,

I am trying to avoid downloading entire file when generating a thumbnail at certain time

ffmpeg -v debug fflags fastseek+igndts -y -http_proxy http://localhost:8888 -i http://devimages.apple.com/iphone/samples/bipbop/gear1/fileSequence3.ts -ss 0 -vframes 1 -async 1 -vcodec png -an thumb.png
I want to make a server side service that creates thumbnails, but I want the server to avoid downloading anything than minimum required, even if the ts file is 263 kb, I want to avoid downloading it completely.Apparently this person had success Extracting Thumbnails Faster with FFmpeg - Wistia EngineeringBut I am unable, ffmpeg still downloads the entire file.

>From what I see, ffmpeg is issuing 3 requests here

1. Content range 0 to end

2. Content range 13012 to 263011

3. Content range 0 to 263011

I don't understand why they are 3 and what is going on. Can this be optimized somehow ?