[FFmpeg-user] Streaming quality

Simon Roberts simon at dancingcloudservices.com
Sat Jun 27 18:07:52 EEST 2020

On Sat, Jun 27, 2020 at 1:46 AM Carl Eugen Hoyos <ceffmpeg at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Am 27.06.2020 um 05:26 schrieb Simon Roberts <
> simon at dancingcloudservices.com>:
> >
> > ffmpeg -i <filename> -f mpegts tcp://192.168.1.109:2000
>
> Either specify a constant quantiser with “-qscale 10 -mbd 2” or a constant
> bitrate with “-b:v 1000k” or use “-vcodec libx264” for an encoder with a
> better default or “-vcodec copy” to avoid re-encoding.

Many thanks Carl that fixed it.

I guess the inference that I had missed is that there's some kind of
default encoding going on here--it's not just a network pipe. Is that a
general case for ffmpeg, or is it specific to streaming, or perhaps this
streaming mode? (and, far less important since I doubt I'll ever want to
use it, is the encoding predictable, or does it vary by build?)

Carl Eugen

Simon Roberts
(303) 249 3613