[FFmpeg-user] Consequences to rude and hostile behaviour

Jim DeLaHunt list+ffmpeg-user at jdlh.com
Sun Mar 1 10:09:53 EET 2020

On 2020-02-29 18:59, Mark Filipak wrote:
> Dear Mr. DeLaHunt,
>
> It's rude to use someone (me) as your sock puppet, especially without
> their permission. I trust that the regulars on this list will take
> that into consideration. For myself, I appreciate the aid that's
> extended.
>
> I suggest that you consider that some of the people here are not
> native English speakers and that it can lead to misunderstanding and
> the innocent appearance of rudeness. Cool your jets, please.
>
> Regards,
> Mark.
>
> On 02/29/2020 08:43 PM, Jim DeLaHunt wrote:
>> FFmpeg core contributors:
>>
>> You are aware that the FFmpeg project includes rude and hostile
>> behaviour. Some you direct at each other, but some you direct at
>> newcomers. I received some when I first attempted to contribute to
>> ffmpeg. I have seen some on the ffmpeg-users and ffmpeg-dev lists.
>>
>> Case in point: On 2020-02-29 17:27, the very perceptive Mark Filipak
>> wrote:
>>  > I would like to donate documentation work, but there's issues:
>>  > …2, I fear that asking questions here will aggravate folks…
>>  > …3, … perhaps I can get guidance without resentment.
>>
>> This behaviour has consequences. It makes possible contributors less
>> likely to turn their good intentions into patches to the code and
>> documentation of ffmpeg. The next time you core contributors ponder
>> how to improve this project, and to get some of its load off your
>> shoulders, you might want to consider that.

Dear Mr. Filipak:

Clearly I did not understand your meaning correctly. I apologise for
offending you, and for using your comments as an example in a way you
aren't comfortable with.

I stand by my underlying observation, even if your situation is not a
case in point. There are plenty of other examples, and I have had direct
communications from contributors acknowledging the problem. The FFmpeg
project includes rude and hostile behaviour, and that has consequences —
that possible contributors are less likely to turn their good intentions
into patches to the code and documentation of ffmpeg.

Best regards,
       —Jim DeLaHunt, Vancouver, Canada