[FFmpeg-user] How to compress .MOV file compatible to Canon camera

Carl Eugen Hoyos ceffmpeg at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 18:44:20 EET 2020

Am Mi., 4. März 2020 um 13:12 Uhr schrieb Ulf Zibis <Ulf.Zibis at gmx.de>:

> Am 04.03.20 um 04:51 schrieb Tom Sparks:
> > On 04/03/2020, Ulf Zibis <Ulf.Zibis at gmx.de> wrote:
> >> Anyway, isn't x264 part of ffmpeg?
> >>
> >> To me it looks it is:
> >> https://www.ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-codecs.html#libx264_002c-libx264rgb
> > no, x264 is done by the VLC community
> Following your argumentation, ffmpeg should not document any of x264
> options

Correct.

> and instead refer to videolan docs.

Actually the x264 docs - which is exactly what above link does.

Note that this is not necessarily true for level and profile, these
are documented in (many) general places like Wikipedia's x264
article.

> But ffmpeg does document it.

It shouldn't in general and I guess it doesn't
(There are of course options of FFmpeg's libx264 wrapper that are
unrelated to the x264 documentation.)

> So on which rules most of x264 options and its values are documented and
> some are not even listed (e.g. most of obviously implemented x264
> profiles and levels)?
>
> > see https://www.videolan.org/developers/x264.html
> Unfortunately the documentation  there is even much less verbose than on
> ffmpeg.

> (Or does anyone know a link to a complete documentation?)

You provided a link above.

Carl Eugen