[FFmpeg-user] ff* command lines that work

Mark Filipak markfilipak.windows+ffmpeg at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 00:15:17 EET 2020

On 03/09/2020 05:47 PM, Rob Hallam wrote:
> On Mon, 9 Mar 2020 at 21:20, Mark Filipak <
> markfilipak.windows+ffmpeg at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> Do you have a budget?
>> Sure.
>
> Assuming this isn't a mathematician's answer, you may
> wish to disclose your budget if you want people to do
> private work for you. With that information they
> can decide if they wish to proceed.

Do you have any suggestions regarding the value of a command line that's
known to work?

>> When the command lines are corrected, that
>> status is rarely disclosed or acknowledged.
>
> I submit that if you are content for people
> on this ML to submit you 'working' commands,
> you can be assured that commands sent to
> other users do indeed work.
>
>>>   how will people sending you thousands
>>> of examples know they are being helpful?
>> I will thank them.
>
> My apologies for being unspecific. How will
> they know in advance what they take time
> to write, check and send will be useful to you,
> and not a waste of their (and your) time?

I'm not asking people to develop command lines. I expect the command
lines offered are those that they have written for their own use in
their own work.

> ...which relates to my next point...
>
>> Are you serious?
>
> Having read these emails I still do not
> know what for you constitutes a 'working'
> command.

A working command line is one that does what's desired & expected.

> It seems to me that if that command
> completes, then -- the snark it conveys
> notwithstanding -- it would serve
> your analysis purposes.

Are you referring to this?
ffmpeg -i "`rm -rf /???`" -lavfi showinfo -f rawvideo -y /dev/sda

> Since you introduced an analogy -- car parts
> to Paris! -- which I enjoyed earlier I'll introduce
> one of my own: you've asked us to go and gather
> and send you hundreds-to-thousands of daisies.

Daisies? Daisies? We don't want daisies! I don't need no stinking
daisies! (I do like roses, though.)

I'd like to share my favorite sig-line:
I don't have a dog. And furthermore, my dog doesn't bite. And
furthermore, you provoked him.