[FFmpeg-user] What is the best way to keep ffmpeg up to date on ubuntu 18.04 (current LTS)?

bbb ffmpeg-user at bugblatterbeast.de
Wed Mar 11 11:52:44 EET 2020

On 10.03.20 23:25, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 10.03.20 um 18:37 schrieb bbb:

>>> On Ubuntu 18.04 I use the static builds from here:
>>> https://johnvansickle.com/ffmpeg/
>>> And install them as described here:
>>> https://www.johnvansickle.com/ffmpeg/faq/
>>>
>>> But I practice a small deviation. Instead of copying the binaries to
>>> /usr/local/bin/ I set two symlinks from there to the binaries, located
>>> in my home dir.
>>>
>> this looks promising since the he always uses the same link for the most
>> recent build. I should be able to create a cron job, that keeps ffmpeg
>> up to date with that.
> and what is the difference to wget the current snapshot and fire up you
> one time written "rpmbuild -bb ffmpeg-lastest" or however you implement
> the build?
>
> https://ffmpeg.org/releases/
> https://ffmpeg.org/releases/ffmpeg-snapshot.tar.bz2
Thanks for the reply.

Of course I was considering something like that as well. I've already
thought about setting up a cronjob that checks out the latest git and
builds the binaries which would be linked to my system. The difference
is about building it every time or downloading a binary.

Still I'm not sure if I understand you correctly... this thread is NOT
about GETTING it up to date. It's about KEEPING it up to date. I've
already build the newest version from source for the architectures I
need and it's running just fine. I'm just wondering how to keep it up to
date without having to care about it.