[FFmpeg-user] Copy all metadata fields?

Peter B. pb at das-werkstatt.com
Wed Mar 18 14:54:34 EET 2020

Thanks Ulf, Thanks Paul!

On 18/03/2020 11:14, Paul B Mahol wrote:
> On 3/18/20, Ulf Zibis <Ulf.Zibis at gmx.de> wrote:
>> Hi Peter,
>>
>> you can use "-map_metadata 0".
>> It copies all possible metadata from input to output.

"-map_metadata 0": Ah, how can I have overlooked that?
Thank you!

Now more metadata is present in the output, but according to Mediainfo
there still differences:
(Sorry for being picky ;P)

1) "tagged date" overwritten by "encoded date"
================================

In original MOV:
   * Encoded date : UTC 2012-01-18 12:50:53
   * Tagged date : UTC 2012-01-18 12:54:48

In rewrapped MOV:
   * Encoded date : UTC 2012-01-18 12:50:53
   * Tagged date : UTC 2012-01-18 12:50:53

I cannot find the "tagged date" value in the source file using
ffmpeg/ffprobe - only Mediainfo. But there seems to be a difference
between source and target after rewrapping.

1) "TIM" missing in output
================================

FFmpeg copies timecode information from the video stream, but Mediainfo
also shows "TIM" in the source container. Is it on purpose that this
timecode field is not kept?

One could argue that this is trivial, but for preservation we're trying
to keep as much of the source "as-is" :)

> I'm sure that color information is not part of that metadata.
> And it must be set manually.

Oh, and yes: absolutely correct! Color information is gone.
Is there any way that this kind of metadata can also be transferred -
even if I don't explicitely know it's there?

The use case is that literally thousands of files are automatically
rewrapped/transcoded and the source material can be very
heterogeneous... Lots of fun!

Again, I'm grateful for any hints or input on how I can preserve as much
of the original (tech)-metadata as possible.

Thanks again!
Peter