[FFmpeg-user] drawtext, suggestion for improvement

Carl Eugen Hoyos ceffmpeg at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 20:59:45 EET 2020

Am Do., 26. März 2020 um 19:34 Uhr schrieb Michael Koch
<astroelectronic at t-online.de>:

> I have a suggestion for improvement for the drawtext filter.
> If the text is read from a file, it must be in UTF-8 format. In Windows,
> many text editors (including Notepad) insert a 3-byte "Byte order mark"
> at the beginning of the file. This is described here:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UTF-8#Byte_order_mark
>
> The problem is that drawtext prints these 3 bytes as non-printable
> characters (empty rectangle). You can see an example screenshot here in
> the Zeranoe discussion forum:
> https://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7813
>
> My suggestion is to let the drawtext filter check the first three bytes
> and if they are EF BB BF, then don't print them.

This bug report is - sadly - missing the (simplified) command line
you tested together with its complete, uncut console output and
- equally important - a simple input file that allows to reproduce.

Or to say it differently: We already have a very large number of
confirmed bugs, most of them show all of the above: Why should
anybody spend time to find out how to reproduce or don't you
agree that this time is better spend on reports that contain all
information?

Carl Eugen