[FFmpeg-user] Copying a EIA-608 subtitle stream in an m4v

Dan Smith dansmithx at icloud.com
Fri Mar 27 18:58:32 EET 2020

> On Mar 26, 2020, at 8:49 PM, Ted Park <kumowoon1025 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> If I copy the stream, I get an error:
>
>> [ipod @ 0x7f8074810600] Could not find tag for codec eia_608 in stream #0, codec not currently supported in container
>> Could not write header for output file #0 (incorrect codec parameters ?): Invalid argument
>
>> (I also tried with extension mp4, behavior is the same.)
>
> Try with extension mov, and/or -strict -2.

Okay, using 'mov' is progress—it outputs a usable file without error.

(-strict seems to have no effect.)

To restate my goal clearly: I want to process some m4v files, removing an unwanted "cover art" image appearing as mjpeg streams.

Some problems with the "output to mov" approach:

1) I'd really like a video in the original file format when I'm done (m4v/mp4), not a mov file. I think mov files are less widely compatible, and in any case I'm going for in-place modification.

2) It strips a number of metadata tags (I counted about 13). I want to remove the mjpeg stream without perturbing the rest of the file.

3) Testing on another file (also Apple-encoded and supported), the 'mov' output chokes on another stream:

   Stream #0:4(eng): Data: bin_data (tx3g / 0x67337874), 0 kb/s
   Metadata:
     creation_time   : 2016-07-15T19:12:05.000000Z
     handler_name    : Core Media Text

It sounds like, at this point, the answer is "ffmpeg is not the tool for you", but I'm happy to hear other suggestions.