[FFmpeg-user] drawtext, suggestion for improvement

Reino Wijnsma rwijnsma at xs4all.nl
Fri Mar 27 23:58:49 EET 2020

Hello Michael,

On 2020-03-26T20:28:02+0100, Michael Koch <astroelectronic at t-online.de> wrote:
> How to reproduce:
> Use Windows Notepad to create a UTF-8 text file which contains only the word "test".
> This is how the file looks in a hex editor:
> EF BB BF 74 65 73 74
>
> Now run this command line and have a look at the output image.
>
> C:\Users\mKoch\Desktop>c:\ffmpeg\ffmpeg -f lavfi -i color=c=white -vf drawtext=textfile=test.txt -frames 1 -y out.png
> ffmpeg version git-2020-03-23-ba698a2 Copyright (c) 2000-2020 the FFmpeg developers
>   built with gcc 9.2.1 (GCC) 20200122
>   [...]
Your FFmpeg binary looks very recent, but what about the FontConfig library you compiled this FFmpeg binary with?

I was only able to reproduce this with one of the very first FFmpeg binaries I compiled myself (N-86393, dated 2017-06-06 and compiled with FontConfig 2.12.1).
The next FFmpeg binary I compiled (N-86763, dated 2017-07-12 and compiled with FontConfig 2.12.4), and all that come after it, don't show this behaviour.

I think updating FontConfig (and recompiling FFmpeg) would most likely solve your problem.

-- Reino