[FFmpeg-user] Asking for help

Carl Eugen Hoyos ceffmpeg at gmail.com
Tue May 5 19:06:38 EEST 2020

Am Di., 5. Mai 2020 um 16:50 Uhr schrieb Mohammed Bey Ahmed Khernache
<mohbeyinfo at gmail.com>:

> I compiled ffmpeg without encoders (--disable-encoders). Then, when I try
> to decode a video bit-stream, I get this error message:
> "Automatic encoder selection failed for output stream #0:0. Default encoder
> for format null (codec wrapped avframe) is probably disabled. Please choose
> an encoder manually. Error selecting an encoder for stream 0:0".
>
> The command I used is the following:
> ffmpeg -i input.h265 -f null /dev/null

Complete, uncut console output missing.

> Could someone explain to me why this happened?

If you have compiled without encoders, there is no
encoder for the output format "null". You need either
the rawvideo encoder or the (default) wrapped_avframe
encoder.

Carl Eugen

PS: Your subject line is also not helpful