[FFmpeg-user] Error when reading file as stream

adam smith adamsmith79 at icloud.com
Tue May 5 22:32:18 EEST 2020

> On 5 May 2020, at 17:15, Carl Eugen Hoyos <ceffmpeg at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Am Di., 5. Mai 2020 um 14:19 Uhr schrieb adam smith via ffmpeg-user
> <ffmpeg-user at ffmpeg.org>:
>
>> That will not resolve 3rd party files
>
> What's wrong with using qtfaststart on them (or on all files)?

The problem is that the platform running ffmpeg is a container that can accesses the source media stored in s3 object storage through the aws command line stream copy. This enables FFmpeg to start transcoding immediately from any S3 bucket it has the account details for.
I presumed that the qtfaststart running on the same platform would also run into the problem with the source only being accessible through the aws command line.

Testing using…

aws s3 cp s3://storage/source/abc-6a-test_mov_34_1588580170874.mov - --quiet | qt-faststart - /data/temporary/transcode_20200505-993-j7flu0/testqtfaststart.mov

was unsuccessful and resulted in -: No such file or directory.

So if I am going to need to localise the file to use qt-faststart I might as well go straight to ffmpeg transcode.
Thanks for your help, I have learnt about a new tool which looks really useful for batch fixing archive mp4 for example.

Thanks
Adam