[FFmpeg-user] A comment about this community

Jim DeLaHunt list+ffmpeg-user at jdlh.com
Tue Nov 3 03:17:39 EET 2020

On 2020-11-02 15:57, amindfv--- via ffmpeg-user wrote:

> … But please, I don't know what's more likely to discourage a newcomer: one person acting rudely or another person convincing them that the entire community is a bunch of jerks….

There is a third way to discourage the newcomer: a few people in the
community could behave like jerks, and the rest of the community could
be passive and tolerate it.

So: another person "convincing them"? or "warning them"?

But you make a good point: don't overgeneralise about any community.
There will be individuals within it who are better- and worse-behaved.

On 2020-11-02 15:57, amindfv--- via ffmpeg-user wrote:
> …It might happen too often on this mailing list that a person says something rude, and so we can work on cultural or rules changes to keep individuals from harming the group dynamic….

Which "we" did you have in mind to make these "cultural or rules
changes"? Part of the problem is that the people on this project with
the power to make change tolerate the behaviour, and the people calling
out the behaviour lack the power (at least lack the currency which this
project values[1]).

[1] http://ffmpeg.org/pipermail/ffmpeg-cvslog/