[FFmpeg-user] DV to bob deinterlaced HEVC

Matti Haveri matti.haveri at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 08:37:03 EET 2020

I was surprised when macOS 11.0 Big Sur QuickTime Player seemed to
indicate that a mp4 converted from .dv started at 00:25:16 until
I noticed it defaulted displaying the SMPTE Timecode.

I did some quick tests with ffmpeg:

Adding '-timecode 00:00:00:00' (after the -preset slow if that
matters) to the encoding command seemed to set the starting
point at zero. And using '-write_tmcd off' seemed to omit the
timecode (and some related tags) completely.

Which approach would you suggest? I have never put any attention
to the timecode and I guess this is only a cosmetic issue.
But this is a big project so I would like to do it correctly.

At the moment I don’t know whether preserving the existing
timecodes would bring any benefits. These are old DV home movies
edited with iMovie and exported as up to 9 minute 27 sec .dv
clips (i.e. old iMovie versions max 2 GB clip size) to the
archive. I guess the timecode in those .dv files might be
a remnant of the old original clip that happened to start
that .dv file?

for i in *.dv; do ffmpeg -i "$i" -vf
bwdif=1,scale=788:576,crop=768:576:10:0,setsar=sar=1/1 -c:v libx265 -crf 18
-preset slow -timecode 00:00:00:00 -tag:v hvc1 -c:a aac -b:a 128k
"${i%.*}_converted.mp4"; done

- Matti