[FFmpeg-user] Correct conversion of yuvj420p?

Peter B. pb at das-werkstatt.com
Thu Oct 1 15:16:02 EEST 2020

On 29.09.20 09:56, Christian Ebert wrote:
> How about doing quick diagnosis with ffprobe before you start,
> something like:
>
> ffprobe -v error \
> -print_format default=noprint_wrappers=1:nokey=1 \
> -select_streams V -show_entries stream=pix_fmt
>
> and make the command depend on the result?

Thanks for the suggestion, but that actually is what I'm doing right now
- yet it means to treat parts of the batches with different
conditions/recipes.

Additionally, in that concrete situation, the source videos (several
thousand...) are stored on an S3-type object based storage (non-Amazon
dialect). So used Mediainfo to avoid having to pull several hundred
Terabyte of videos just to get their tech-MD.

And Mediainfo cannot tell me what FFmpeg considers yuvj420p, because...
Even if it wasn't for the "S3-extra-fun", I'm running into this issue
every now and then in different video collections - and every "if - then
- else" adds extra points of failure (and work).

You see my challenge? :)

Kind regards,
Peter