[FFmpeg-user] Glossary: Nyquist

Eduardo Alarcón ealarcong at gmail.com
Thu Oct 1 18:20:15 EEST 2020

El jue., 1 oct. 2020 a las 12:09, Mark Filipak (ffmpeg) (<markfilipak at bog.us>)
escribió:

> On 10/01/2020 10:38 AM, Eduardo Alarcón wrote:
> > Mostly the noun/adjective part, the part [1] about SD media and
> mastering,
> > seems to be anecdotal information more than a definition of what is the
> > Nyquist principle, you say that the images are undersampled, but what
> does
> > it mean? what is the impact, the images look blurry?, may be you defined
> > "undersampling" in other part
>
> Thanks for your thoughts. They're important. Yes, I could write more. And,
> Yes, the note is
> anecdotal. I felt that the note introduces the idea that something can be
> undersampled and with a
> concrete example of something that is undersampled so that the concept
> becomes 'real'. Can you
> suggest better wording? I'd like to see it.
>
> Me too, this is not my native language so i can not suggest a better
wording.

> Regarding what undersampling means, it's a common term that can be looked
> up in a general dictionary
> rather than a dedicated glossary. That's just my opinion of course. Where
> do you think the line
> should be drawn?

I think it should say that undersampling makes it look bad or blurry, so
that the concept is clear why it has to be that way.
Anyway it all depends on your target audience, if they have to know
concepts before or expect them to know nothing when reading your "manual".
That should define where the line is draw.

Off topic, i find your questions helpful or interesting at least on this
list, there are concepts i know and things i don't that i had to look up