[FFmpeg-user] Glossary: d-NTSC & d-PAL

Jim DeLaHunt list+ffmpeg-user at jdlh.com
Sun Oct 4 03:09:01 EEST 2020

On 2020-10-03 08:44, Mark Filipak (ffmpeg) wrote:

> …I INTERRUPT THIS PROGRAM FOR AN IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT.
>
> The text two paragraphs below was my original response. I include it
> just for the sake of completeness and for Jim's benefit, however,
> things have... progressed (in a way).
>
> My goal (for a long time) is to differentiate hard telecine from
> pseudo NTSC (which I'm calling d-NTSC). I thought I'd found the
> differentiation: The combined values of 'progressive_sequence' and
> 'progressive_frame' MPEG-PS metadata. I was wrong. The video that I
> thought was hard telecined was actually soft telecined. When I
> realized my error, I revised my response:
> "'progressive_sequence' = 0 & 'progressive_frame' = 1 means that the
> frame is soft telecined",
> and only then realized that I'd screwed the pooch: that I still had no
> way to differentiate hard telecine from d-NTSC. I'm withdrawing the
> d-NTSC & d-PAL entries and will rework them when I can, in fact,
> differentiate d-NTSC & d-PAL from hard telecine. (sigh!)
>
> WE NOW RESUME OUR REGULARLY SCHEDULED PROGRAM.
>
> If I understand your point, it is that the definition is followed by a
> table (of sorts) that you think is content and not a suitable part of
> the definition. Okay, let me try to explain and maybe you can suggest
> a better way, eh?
>
> The 'table' isn't really a table. It's the metadata values that are
> necessary for the d-NTSC frame to be a d-NTSC frame. I provide it so
> that readers can verify that, "Yes, indeed, I'm looking at a d-NTSC
> frame". The big clue is that 'progressive_sequence' (from the
> sequence_extension metadata structure) and 'progressive_frame' (from
> the picture_coding_extension metadata structure) are both zero. My
> friend, it took me months to figure that out because H.262 doesn't put
> things together. Here's the straight dope:
> 'progressive_sequence' = 1 means the frame is a picture.
> 'progressive_sequence' = 0 & 'progressive_frame' = 0 means that the
> frame is d-NTSC or d-PAL.
> 'progressive_sequence' = 0 & 'progressive_frame' = 1 means that the
> frame is soft telecined.
>
> Without that info, you can't tell d-NTSC from hard telecined unless
> you single step through the video frames and know what to look for.
>
> The other metadata in the 'table' is the rest of the stuff that
> distinguishes d-NTSC from d-PAL: width, height, aspect ratio, etc.
>
> So, you see, the metadata has to be part of the definition, or at
> least that's what I think.
>
> Do you have a better idea?

When you say, "My goal (for a long time) is to differentiate hard
telecine from pseudo NTSC (which I'm calling d-NTSC).… [using] MPEG-PS
metadata", it sounds to that your goal is to describe different content
structures in the context of an MPEG-PS stream. The right document for
doing this work is a guide to or explanation of MPEG-PS stream contents.
As part of describing a content structure, it is probably quite helpful
to list the metadata values which identify that structure. But this
document is not a glossary.

It also sounds to me like you are coining the term "d-NTSC" to name one
kind of content structure. It is perfectly in scope to define names in
such a guide or explanation.  But it sounds like you aren't claiming
that the term "d-NTSC" is [also] defined by some other document, such as
the H.262 specification. Fine.

In the glossary, I would expect to see a term, e.g. "d-NTSC", and then
one or more entries describing meanings of that term, each with an
explanation of the term and a cross-reference to where the term is
defined or used in an important way, e.g. to "Mark's Guide to MPEG-PS
Stream Content Structures", section X.Y, "pseudo-NTSC content".

Or simply put, what you are drafting in this thread is an entry in
Mark's Guide to MPEG-PS, not a glossary entry. In my humble opinion.

       —Jim DeLaHunt