[FFmpeg-user] Converting text to video for dictation

Chris Miceli chris at miceli.net.au
Tue Oct 20 06:41:14 EEST 2020

Hi!

I'm not sure if I am answering the question you are exactly posting but
what I think you are looking for is some file format which will help
subtitle your video, allowing people to enable them as they wish. Whilst I
don't know your exact delivery of these videos your choices roughly are:

1. CEA608 which are then put into the mp4 container as SEI messages. If you
want to deliver one video file, this is your best bet. Cea608 is good for
English and Latin with cea708 supporting a larger character set.
2. An srt/webvtt files which is served through a manifest to the client who
can fetch and display them as they wish. This is the way I have the most
experience with and is simplest if your content is on demand (not live,
that is). I usually see this with DASH but other tech could also use it. It
produces a second file though, but if you are running a website for this
it's no big deal.

As far as authoring them, I'm not too sure which software you want to use.
But once you have both files (video and subtitle) you should be able to do
either 1 or 2 fairly easily. I would recommend having them as webvtt and if
you then want it in the mp4 file as cea, there should be a way to do it
with libcaption.

I hope this helps at least a little bit. I can try help some more with more
details.