[FFmpeg-user] Trying to Reduce Sizes of Movies Ripped with MakeMKV

Marc Barrett mnealbarrett at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 07:40:07 EET 2020

I am ripping the DVDs (and Blu-Rays) in exactly the same way: with MakeMKV,
to MKV containers. As the name suggests, MakeMKV rips to MKV containers.
MakeMKV is a GUI utility, so there is no output that I can post. I get no
error messages, and the MKV files play wonderfully with the Plex
client/server software.

I just checked, and it is not upscaling. All of the DVD MKV files are
720x480.

The following command works, it just does not take advantage of my video
card:

ffmpeg -i in.mkv -map 0 -codec:a copy -codec:s copy -max_muxing_queue_size
4096 out.mkv

(I use the "max_muxing_queue_size" part because I sometimes get errors if I
don't)