[FFmpeg-user] Question about macroblocks in soft telecined video

Mark Filipak markfilipak.windows+ffmpeg at gmail.com
Sun Sep 6 23:14:37 EEST 2020

On 09/06/2020 03:31 PM, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> Am So., 6. Sept. 2020 um 19:07 Uhr schrieb Mark Filipak

First, Carl Eugen, could you fix your email client so that it doesn't echo people's email addresses
in the clear?

-snip-
>> So-called "progressive" video -- I prefer "concurrent" -- is contained in interlaced data structures
>> within the macroblocks. Hard telecined video (which may or may not be concurrent depending on
>> whether it comes from cinema or from TV) is contained in deinterlaced data within the macroblocks
>> that the decoder interlaces to make frames as part of the decoding process. My question has to do
>> with whether, for soft telecine, the fields in the chrominance blocks of undecoded macroblocks is
>> deinterlaced or interlaced.
>
> As said before: I don't think this makes sense (not even for mpeg2 video).

I offered to post pictures but you didn't respond. I really like pictures. Pictures don't generally
require explanations. Written text in lieu of pictures is counterproductive. The more that is
written, the more that can be wrong or misunderstood. ffmpeg documentation doesn't have (avoids?)
pictures. Why is that?