[FFmpeg-user] bwdif filter question

Mark Filipak (ffmpeg) markfilipak at bog.us
Mon Sep 21 02:56:15 EEST 2020

On 09/20/2020 05:44 PM, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
>>> That may not be wrong (apart from Paul’s comment) but I wonder how useful it is:
>>> No matter if the raster contains one field, two interlaced fields or a progressive
>>> frame, the filter will always see an input frame.
>> "...if the raster contains *one field*...the filter will always see an input *frame*."
>> How is that possible? How can a frame contain just one field?
>
> The following makes little sense, it is just meant as an example:
> $ ffmpeg -f lavfi -i testsrc2,field -vf bwdif -f null -
>
> Here, the input to the bwdif consists of frames that contain one field
> (of the original input).

Thanks, Carl Eugen. Kindly forgive my ignorance -- I can't read 'C' code and probably couldn't find
the relevant code section if my life depended on it.

If bwdif is the *only* filter, then, from previous discussions, I understand that its input (i.e.
the decoder's output) is raw frames (e.g. 720x576)? If raw frames, then I can understand the above
to mean that the filter is 'fed' only one field (e.g. 720x288). Logically, to me, that would be a
frame (i.e. a 720x288 frame), but no matter (let's forget that). However, even then, the filter is
receiving only one field. How can it 'deinterlace' a single field? I'm mystified. Does it line
double in such a circumstance? Or does it deinterlace the current single field with the next single
field one frame later?

>>> The fact that there is metadata that may signal the content is also not necessarily
>>> helpful as this metadata is typically wrong (often signalling fields when a frame is provided).
>>
>> Can you provide an example (or a link to an example)? I've examined a
>> great number of DSM mpeg presentation streams ('VOB's & 'm2ts's) and
>> I've not seen a single case. What metadata are you looking at?
>> sequence_extension: 'progressive_sequence'?
>> picture_coding_extension: 'picture_structure'?
>> picture_coding_extension: 'top_field_first'?
>> picture_coding_extension: 'repeat_first_field'?
>
> I would expect that most commercial encodings you have uses
> one of the above, independently of the content...

Based on my experience, and to the best of my knowledge, every MPEG PS & TS have all 5 metadata
values. Certainly, every MPEG stream *I've* parsed have all 5.

>> picture_coding_extension: 'progressive_frame'?
>
> ... while this is unusual, even for movies in PAL streams.

For what it's worth, I have only one PAL movie, "The Man Who Would Be King", from Australia. It has
all 5 metadata values and appears to be a regular MPEG PS.

Regarding 'progressive_frame', ffmpeg has 'interlaced_frame' in lieu of 'progressive_frame'. I think
that 'interlaced_frame' = !'progressive_frame' but I'm not sure. Confirming it as a fact is a side
project that I work on only occasionally. H.242 defines "interlace" as solely the condition of PAL &
NTSC scan-fields (i.e. field period == (1/2)(1/FPS)), but I don't want to pursue that further
because I don't want to be perceived as a troll. :-)

- Mark.