[FFmpeg-user] Transcoding mpeg2video in mpegts to h264 in mpegts has fast playback

Patrick Double pat at patdouble.com
Mon Sep 21 16:55:26 EEST 2020

> On Sep 20, 2020, at 4:38 PM, Carl Eugen Hoyos <ceffmpeg at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Please provide an input sample, never provide output files unless specifically requested.
>>
>> This is an input sample.
>
> The file claims to be written by FFmpeg.

First, thanks for your time and insight.

Plex DVR reads the ATSC stream from the TV tuner via Linux DVB and uses ffmpeg to assemble the mpegts file.

> You cannot put ass into mpegts.

Understood. I’m only using ass when transcoding to mkv. The closed captions so far have been preserved in the h264/mpegts transcode.

> Your input file is NOT interlaced, it is telecined, use an inverse
> telecine filter. Every deinterlacer permanently damages your video, in
> theory an inverse telecine filter creates perfect output.
> Both pullup and fieldmatch seem to work ok for your sample.

That is interesting. Looks like some of the recorded files are interlaced and some are progressive. I’m not sure if this is the broadcast or if Plex is doing it. Which ever it is I don’t have influence on it.

> The following works and keeps the Closed Captions, it may not
> work correctly with the inverse telecine filter though:
> $ ffmpeg -i input -acodec copy -vcodec lib264 out.ts

That command is producing the same results.

However, I tried playing with QuickTime Player (provided with Mac OS X) and the speed is correct. So the fault appears to be with MPlayer OS X Extended. Sorry that I didn’t try multiple players before posting.

Thanks again.