[FFmpeg-user] bwdif filter question

Mark Filipak (ffmpeg) markfilipak at bog.us
Tue Sep 22 01:44:17 EEST 2020

On 09/21/2020 06:07 PM, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> Am Mo., 21. Sept. 2020 um 14:16 Uhr schrieb Mark Filipak (ffmpeg)
> <markfilipak at bog.us>:

>>> It can’t and that is what I explained several times in my last two mails.
>>
>> Here is what you wrote:
>> "The following makes little sense, it is just meant as an example:
>> $ ffmpeg -f lavfi -i testsrc2,field -vf bwdif -f null -"
>>
>> That "explains" nothing. Worse, it seems crass and sarcastic.
>
> No.
> This was an example to show you how you can feed one field to
> a filter in our system, this is what you had asked for ...

I didn't ask for that. That was in your reply to a comment from Mark Himsley.
"No matter if the raster contains one field, two interlaced fields or a progressive frame, the
filter will always see an input frame."
I simply asked how a deinterlacing filter would handle an input that has only one field. It's a
question that, I note, you have not answered except that it "makes little sense", to which I agreed.

>... I used the
> filter that is the topic in this mailing list thread.
> In addition, I explained - not only but including above - that this
> is not a useful example for an interlace filter, just as feeding a
> progressive frame is not useful.

I agree in both cases of course.

> Please understand that I have shown significantly more patience
> with you then with most other users here and significantly more
> patience than most people on this mailist list (including the silent
> ones) have with you. I can only ask you to accept the answers you
> receive instead of interpreting every single one of them as a
> personal attack just because they don't match what you expect.

Paul Mahol accused me of attacking you. That's absurd of course. Now you accuse me of feeling
attacked. How would you know what I feel? I don't feel attacked.

You and Paul need to get your stories aligned. :-)