[FFmpeg-user] How to create "Input #1", "Input #2" etc. in addition to "Input #0"?

Jim DeLaHunt list+ffmpeg-user at jdlh.com
Sun Sep 27 22:00:32 EEST 2020

On 2020-09-27 02:58, Stub via ffmpeg-user wrote:
> Hello,
> Can ffmpeg put various mapped inputs into different Input streams in the same container output file?
> So far I only have created output container files, which only had "Input #0":Input #0   Stream #0:0   Stream #0:1   Stream #0:2   etc.
> Can I also add to this container another input, like:
> Input #1   Stream #1:0   Stream #1:1   Stream #1:2   etc.
> If yes, how can I go about with ffmpeg?
> Thank you.-SR.

Hello, Stub Spamrefuse (curious email addresses you have there):

Yes, FFmpeg can put various mapped inputs into different _output_
streams in the same container output file.

Invoke FFmpeg with multiple '-i inputfile' arguments to read multiple
inputs. The '-map' option gives a flexible way of mapping input streams
into output streams, perhaps via filters. See "Stream selection" in the
documentation for a description:
<http://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-all.html#Stream-selection>.

I don't follow what you mean by "into different Input streams in the
same container output file". Streams in an output file are no longer
input streams, are they?

But FFmpeg is a complicated tool. It may be easier if you give a
specific example, with a specific command line and console output, and
tell us specifically what about that example is different than what you
want.

Best regards,
     —Jim DeLaHunt