[FFmpeg-user] Guide to denoise VHS videos

Ulf Zibis Ulf.Zibis at CoSoCo.de
Sun Apr 11 13:10:39 EEST 2021

Hi,

does anyone know a good guide how to denoise mpeg2 videos, which come from VHS videos, recorded with DVD-recorder?
My goal is to reduce the bit rate as much as possible.

 From my view, the most disturbing is the temporal noise.
Some few videos in "long play" recordings too show heavy blocking in scenes with much movement

Also I see, that increasing the crf for the output x264 encoder has a good effect on the bit rate, without worsening the quality too much.

Any hints welcome!

Thanks,
-Ulf