[FFmpeg-user] Media Express vs FFmpeg CPU use

Carl Zwanzig cpz at tuunq.com
Wed Apr 28 22:27:58 EEST 2021

On 4/28/2021 3:03 AM, Bouke wrote:
> Trying to capture decklink input to ProRes.
> FFmpeg is VERY cpu hungry (230 % on my sytem in the example below, increasing when upping the quality of Prores)
> Media Express / VTEncoderXPCservice use just half the CPU.

My assumption is that the BMD code is simply more optimized for the tasks
it's doing, and probably using a licensed encoder. Otherwise, are all the
parameters the same between tests? I was looking specifically at pix_fmt
(might need to move that earlier in the cmd line). (I'd experiment myself
with this but have a production on Saturday and a lot to do before that.)

> (Eventually I want to do multiple streams on a single machine.)

Do you need prores output? Can you capture into something else and then
transcode?

Later,

z!