[FFmpeg-user] Why FFMPEG?

Android PowerUser tschikruma at gmail.com
Sun Aug 15 22:28:12 EEST 2021

If FFMPEG is a collection of codecs then why are the most memory efficient
codecs not available. The most memory-efficient waveform encoder xhe-aac,
the most memory-efficient video codec VVC, the most memory-efficient image
codec AVIF (VVC does not seem to offer any image coding options, e.g. via
ISOBMFF as in HEIF), not even the most memory-efficient vocoder Codec2 can
be used without other downloads. If the best codecs for storage efficiency
are not there, and thus probably the most important codecs, why use FFMPEG
at all? And it's not even useful for text. You are better served with 7zip
or xz.  And with that I think I got through all the media ...

So a cross-device codec collection is a good idea, but then you should do
it right. I can't help with that, but those who can and have so far
partially done it should end it.  Otherwise it doesn't make any sense ...
right?