[FFmpeg-user] Can ffmpeg record video from this kind of URL?

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at gmail.com
Sun Aug 29 18:10:29 EEST 2021

I would like to record MSNBC news streams for later viewing, but I cannot figure
out how I should make that happen using ffmpeg....
Here is a webpage URL I found by googling and on which there is a video player
streaming the MSNBC video:

https://www.livenewsmag.com/msnbc-news-live-stream/

I have tried to use F12 in FireFox in order to be able to extract a video url,
but failed to find anything (not really used to using the F12 view).

About half a year ago I had a similar problem and then someone here came up with
this to be used in a Linux script:

"ffmpeg -hide_banner -user_agent \"Mozilla\" -i $VIDEOURL -t $CAPTURETIME -c
copy $TARGETFILE"

The variables VIDEOURL , CAPTURETIME and TARGETFILE are preset to the URL
extracted via F12 on the webpage that streamed the video, the length of the
extraction and the output file.

And the extracted video URL used looked like this (obfuscated domain):
https://hlss.somedomain.com/hls/186379.m3u8

This worked until they changed that webpage and removed the player...

So now I would like to get the same system going on the newly found webpage
shown above.

Any ideas?

--
Bo Berglund