[FFmpeg-user] "instead of complaining, submit a patch" [was: Re: minterpolate problem]

Jim DeLaHunt list+ffmpeg-user at jdlh.com
Tue Feb 2 01:36:02 EET 2021

On 2021-01-31 05:05, Rodney Baker wrote:
> On Friday, 29 January 2021 21:12:06 ACDT Phil Rhodes via ffmpeg-user wrote:
>>      On Friday, 29 January 2021, 09:43:09 GMT, Mark Filipak (ffmpeg)
>>
>> <markfilipak at bog.us> wrote:
>>> Try 'ffmpeg -h type=filter.
>>> It fails. Why? Because "filter" is a "type", not a "name" -- never mind
>>> that the details says "... named decoder/encoder ..."
>> Yes, this is the sort of thing that causes the problem. Easy to fix, though,
>> you'd have thought. P
>>
> Well, if you have a solution, instead of complaining, submit a patch to the
> ffmpeg-devel mailing list. If it gets accepted, congratulations - you've just
> helped to improve the product!

In many projects, "instead of complaining, submit a patch" is good
advice. It turns users into contributors. But FFmpeg is not just any
project.

How has submitting documentation patches gone for you?

In my experience, substantive documentation patches trigger immune
[1c]), or get accepted only after much pain ([2a], [2b]). Both those
attempts also earned me a private email from a senior developer wishing
I would go away and stop participating in FFmpeg. The patches that get
accepted straightforwardly were minor FAQ changes([3a], [3b]) or repo
fixes [4].

[1a] https://lists.ffmpeg.org/pipermail/ffmpeg-devel/2020-April/261467.html
[1b] https://lists.ffmpeg.org/pipermail/ffmpeg-devel/2020-May/261792.html
[1c] https://lists.ffmpeg.org/pipermail/ffmpeg-devel/2020-May/261811.html
[2a] https://ffmpeg.org/pipermail/ffmpeg-devel/2017-November/220528.html
[2b]
https://lists.ffmpeg.org/pipermail/ffmpeg-devel/2017-December/221596.html
[3a]
https://lists.ffmpeg.org/pipermail/ffmpeg-devel/2017-November/219782.html,
[3b]
https://lists.ffmpeg.org/pipermail/ffmpeg-devel/2017-November/219925.html
[4]
https://lists.ffmpeg.org/pipermail/ffmpeg-devel/2017-November/220095.html

My experience has persuaded me that "instead of complaining, submit a
patch" is not an easy path to follow in this project.

     —Jim DeLaHunt