[FFmpeg-user] "instead of complaining, submit a patch" [was: Re: minterpolate problem]

Michael Koch astroelectronic at t-online.de
Tue Feb 2 22:29:27 EET 2021

Am 02.02.2021 um 19:54 schrieb Mark Filipak (ffmpeg):
> Is there a middle way? Is the choice really, 1, an automated system,
> or 2, chaos?
>
> How about a single person who receives all documentation submittals
> and fits them into a documentation structure?
>
> An editor.
>
> That's how the non-coder world works. And it works well. And it's
> flexible. And it can evolve with needs.

Currently FFmpeg has three documentations:
(1) The official documenation:  ffmpeg-all.html
(2) The built-in help functions (I rarely use them)
(3) The wiki:  https://trac.ffmpeg.org/

Problems:
-- (1), (2) and (3) may contain different informations about a subject.
You have to consult all three.
-- The union of (1), (2) and (3) is still incomplete. Especially there
should be more examples.
-- For many users (including me), it's impossible to submit changes to
(1), because the git procedure is too complicated. The logical
consequence is that in (1) many things are unclear or missing.
-- (3) is easy to edit, but currently very incomplete.

In my opinion, it would be best to have all documentation in a wiki.

Another suggestion: A programmer who adds a new feature to FFmpeg
shouldn't write the documentation for this feature himself. Because for
him everything is totally clear and he forgets to describe some
important details. It's better if someone else tests the new feature and
writes the documentation.

Michael