[FFmpeg-user] Insert black frames -- How?

Michael Koch astroelectronic at t-online.de
Tue Feb 9 10:05:20 EET 2021

Mark,

> I want to insert black frames into a stream on a regular basis.
> #1, Is that an input device? I think so. Or,
> #2, is it better/easier to repeat an input frame and blacken the
> repeated frame? Maybe.
>
> I seek guidance. I've read everything I could find. Methinks #1 would
> be best. But if #2, would a 'pad' filter that covers the entire frame
> be best/easiest?

I think the tricky part is how to insert an additional frame in the
video. May be you can split the video in two parts and then concat first
part, additional frame, second part. You would also have to find a
suitable solution for the audio track.
Replacing one frame of the video by another image is easy, see chapter
2.40 in my book:
http://www.astro-electronic.de/FFmpeg_Book.pdf

Michael