[FFmpeg-user] Filter documentation -- PTSs

Mark Filipak (ffmpeg) markfilipak at bog.us
Tue Feb 16 04:20:09 EET 2021

On 02/15/2021 08:54 PM, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 16, 2021 at 12:45 PM Mark Filipak (ffmpeg)
> <markfilipak at bog.us> wrote:
-bigsnip-
>> The rest of 'C' syntax, and precedent, and operators, etc. I know. It's just pointers that mystify
>> me. Now I understand what a struct actually is but pointers?... not so much. I thought I understood,
>> but '**' fuddled it. I'm afraid I'm one of the people who, for example, actually prefer BNF to
>> textual descriptions.
>
> A pointer, ultimately, is just a number - the address of the next
> thing. So the pointer-to-pointer is saying "at this address, you can
> find the address you want".
>
> If this isn't helpful, feel free to ignore it; I'm sure there's BNF
> around somewhere to explain it, but I'm not sure I could write it that
> way, sorry.

Hahaha... I brought up BNF just to illustrate how anal compulsive I am. For example, documentation
that's just for my eyes is full of regex & BNF.

You've given me a good push. Thanks so much. I hope I can pull a thorn out of your paw some day.

The ffmpeg source code and header files remind me of minified json. Everything is there, but it's
all so abstract that it's nearly impossible to read.

Take care, and thanks again,
Mark.

--
Any journey, no matter how long, is just a series of small steps.
"Government is the problem!" -- 1982 and onward.