[FFmpeg-user] Naming chapters in Matroska video

John Finlay finlay at moeraki.com
Fri Feb 19 18:19:39 EET 2021

On 2/19/2021 8:08 AM, Paul B Mahol wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 19, 2021 at 4:53 PM John Finlay <finlay at moeraki.com> wrote:

>>> Nope, it proofs PEBKAC.
>>>

>> Paul you should read the documentation and then you'd realize that Ulf
>> is correct; his original attempt to replace the chapter metadata follows
>> the documentation and illustrates the problem.
>>
> Nope. If user read documentation at all, user would notice -map_chapters
> option just below
> -map_metadata option.

I was talking about the Metadata documentation referenced by Jim:

http://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-all.html#Metadata-1

"

By using the ffmetadata muxer and demuxer it is possible to extract
metadata from an input file to an ffmetadata file, and then transcode
the file into an output file with the edited ffmetadata file.

Extracting an ffmetadata file with ffmpeg goes as follows:

ffmpeg -i INPUT -f ffmetadata FFMETADATAFILE

Reinserting edited metadata information from the FFMETADATAFILE file can
be done as:

ffmpeg -i INPUT -i FFMETADATAFILE -map_metadata 1 -codec copy OUTPUT

"